Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Happy Meeting Day!

On this day, five years ago, I met my husband. Our marriage has been hard. We've had more than our share of downs. But as I spoke to him on the phone today, and reminded him of the importance of this day, I was also reminded of how much I love him. In spite of it all, I love him a heck of a lot more than I did five years ago!

Here's an account from our wedding album:

Tamara's version:
Mark and I met at ward prayer. I walked into the house where the ward (BYU 107th) was assembled. I saw this guy sitting in a chair against the wall, talking to some people. When I looked at him, he looked at me, and we made eye contact. I thought he was cute but didn't think much else of it. But at ward prayer, he and his apartment introduced themselves. His roommates mentioned he likes to run and teased him about his build and pretended like they wanted to take his shirt off. He seemed embarrassed,which I thought was endearing.

Then he proceeded to tell a story. What impressed me was how animated he was, and I remember thinking he seemed enthusiastic. But still I wouldn't have done anything--except as I was walking out, some people in front of me stopped to talk, which meant I had to slow down. The result was that I happened to be right next to Mark for a few minutes. He turned and started talking to me. I asked if he was a BYU student,and he said he'd just transferred from the University of Montana, to which I said, "Oh, the U of M?" and he said, "Yeah! You know it?" And I laughed and said no.

Then he asked if he could give me a ride home and I said, "No, I live close by and I like to walk." So he said, "Can I walk you home?" I said sure. As we walked I mentioned that I'd served a mission, and at my house he looked at my mission pictures. He seemed impressed by me and when he stood up he said, "Can I get your phone number? I like you." And he laughed and said again, "I like you." I gave him my phone number and then he left. He came over a little while later with two chocolate chip cookies, one for me and one for my brother. He asked me to go for a ride with him but I turned him down. That is how we met and that was the first day we knew each other.

Mark's version:
I first saw Tamara from a short distance jsut before the start of sacrament meeting on August 29, 2004. On the same Sunday I was asked to give a spiritual thought for the ward prayer meeting, which is a regular practice among the BYU wards. When we arrived I was secretly hoping that I might get the chance to be seen by her when I spoke. I was happy to see her come in that night. After the meeting I asked to walk her home and she said it was alright.

Upon arriving home I learned a lot about her that I really liked. I was shocked to learn that she was a return missionary, thrilled that she was from the south (a beautiful accent) and lulled by her beauty. I wanted to spend more time with her, but I really wanted to go home and tell my roommates about how I felt. I was so excited--almost giddy! That night I decided that my plans were going to change. I had to be in a position to be around this girl. The next day I bought a cell phone and enrolled for night school and quit my day job. I could see where this relationship was going to go from here!

Well, there you have it, folks. I don't know what he was talking about southern accent wise (because I don't think I have one), but there were definitely sparks the day we met. (At least from his side--I thought he came on a little strong, but I warmed to him!) How fun. He's been a lovely acquaintance.

Gonna have to take a nap today. Really tired!

Sequel Stats:
today's goal: 21,354
actual: 21,561 (+2,207)
tomorrow's goal: 23,561

7 comments:

Karen Gowen said...

Beautiful and incredibly romantic! Tamara, you really are a lovely writer. congratulations on 5 wonderful years, and believe me, it only gets better when it's right!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

we've grown a ton together through our trials. We are really looking forward to this year together.

Stephanie Faris said...

Congratulations...and what beautiful words both of you had for each other. I can see the love there!

Mary Gray said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet story. :) Adam and I actually met this time too. Labor Day, seven years ago! MAN, can that be right?!

Tyler Jorgenson said...

I can't believe you ended that post with, "He's been a lovely acquaintance." So funny. I can see Mark in my minds eye all giddy after he walked you home.

Keep your eye on the ups for the next five years. We all have ups and downs, but the view from the peaks is a better memory, even if it's short.

Dianna said...

How wonderful! Thanks for sharing! I will have to do the same thing on my blog when our meeting day anniversary rolls around.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Hi Dianna!!! So you are around! Was it my cheerful comment on your blog that inspired you to drop in? :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...