Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Countdown: 8: Final Submissions

After I killed off my character in April, 2009, I ran Perilous past my various critique groups. All in all, it got better feedback than it ever had. The beginning gripped my beta readers and made them want read more, as well as letting them know what kind of a ride they were in for. (They also caught all the times I referred to them as 'the four girls' instead of 'the three girls.')

This time, I was certain my novel was a winner. I resubmitted to the company I'd sent it to in October, as well as carefully selecting four other publishing companies to submit to.

Right away, I heard back from the company I'd previously submitted to. They wanted to know if this novel was the same one they had in their review committee. Oops! I told them it was, though I had made substantial changes. I also admitted to them that I thought it had been rejected, since it had been more than six months since I had submitted, with no response.

The editor responded saying that though it was taking longer than usual, they had not yet rejected my novel. It was in committee. She told me they would continue to review my previous submission, since they had already invested so much time in it. She also said if it were to be rejected, I could resubmit with my new version.

Boy, I felt like an idiot!

And that was that. The submissions were away. I sat back and waited, absolutely confident that this time, someone--maybe everyone!--would want my book.

8 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

LOL That's something you wouldn't expect to happen. Good luck with the subs.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

thanks, Lynette! As I submitted almost a year ago...I happily know the outcome now!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

Oh God. I can FEEL the heat that I imagine rushed to your cheeks!

But I think most writers would assume a rejection after that long :) I'm so glad you've started these while I already know the outcome!!

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

whoa. also, I didn't read your comment about outcomes before posting mine... So I promise I wasn't copying ;-)

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

ha ha, Sara! Yes, it's nice to know the ending already!

Unknown said...

wow...the process -- man oh man...a true test in patience!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Further proof that publishing moves incredibly slowly!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

lol, Solvang and SB...just you wait...it seems to move even slower once you have a contract!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...