Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Countdown: 6: Assigned an Editor

(Do you see that 6?? That means, if we stay on track, we're about 6 months away from book release!)

It didn't take long after signing my contract before I was assigned my first editor. I believe in most publishing companies you have several editors, and WiDo is no exception. I was nervous, wondering who my editor would be, what he/she would be like. Would we get along? Would he/she have the same vision for my book that I did? Would he/she respect me as an author?

Shortly thereafter, I got an email from Allie Maldonado. It said,

I have been assigned as editor for your work. I am excited about your wonderful ms., and together we will make it absolutely as good as it can be.

You can email me any time with questions and comments, and I'll be fairly prompt in reply.

Please don't be dismayed by excessive notations on your ms, or by how long this can take. It's no reflection on your ability as a writer, it's simply the process of revision that can be quite tedious and lengthy. WiDo has high standards for what it publishes, and does not put anything out until it is completely and thoroughly edited.

I look forward to working with you!

Can you feel the tone of that email? Very upbeat. Even flattering--my 'wonderful' ms. Instantly I was relieved. Allie put me at ease, she treated me with respect, and she quickly showed me what a knowledgeable, competent editor she was!

Right away, she started throwing suggestions at me. Make the setting clear, introduce fewer characters at once, cut back on the dialogue and increase the action. But she also made it very clear that these were SUGGESTIONS. I distinctly remember one time when I wobbled on a change she wanted, and Allie and I talked about it until I felt comfortable with what she was asking. She always treated me with respect.

In short, my editor was a joy to work with! And I am so pleased with the way the book has turned out since I submitted it! Editors are great for their impartiality and stern eyes!

What has your experience been working with an editor?

7 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

I'm glad you're experience has been so great. I'd like to think most of the time it's this way, but I'm sure there are cases where the author and editor don't share the same vision. That would be very uncomfortable.

Lynnette Labelle
http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Talli Roland said...

That's great! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm really looking forward to reading about Jaci.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

Great news for you Tamara! sounds like a wonderful editor to work with. I'm also countdown 8 months away - but I've already finished working with my awesome editor from 4RV Publishing. What I really liked was the good comments mixed in with all the red throughout the ms. It's so nice to get an upbeat person who gets your ms. You should have fun!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds wonderful. I think the whole idea of working with an editor is both enthralling and terrifying :) Hope it happens some day in my future!

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

She sounds like a dear. I'm glad you had an editor you were comfortable and happy working with.

Voidwalker said...

That's great. It's good to hear you have a good one. From what people tell me, they are supposed to be on your side, so I'm sure you two will make a good duo and rock this novel!

Good luck and congrats again.

Anonymous said...

Well that's a bit different than my image of my future editor as a borderline alcoholic, chain smoking dude (or gal... I'm not gender-biased) in a tweed jacket and a handlebar mustache (okay, that would be weird on a gal). Allie sounds much nicer than that.

Congrats on your progress toward publication, good lady!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...