Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Detective Hamilton likes pickles!

Yesterday I finished the first draft of my detective scenes!!! Whoo-hoo! I'm so excited about this. Whew! What a job. I know there's going to be a lot of revising that I'll have to do. (after all, this is the first draft. I haven't even read through it yet.) I need to add setting and figure out a name for the chief. I came up with so many new names that I got tired of it and the chief got stuck with "The Chief."

Now I need to interview a detective and make sure my information is actually accurate. I've contacted two police stations and one police officer that goes to church with us. I got an email back from the Fayetteville police station, asking me to call. I did. She was in a meeting and told me she'd call back because she had some questions. It's been about three hours. I'll give her until tomorrow.

And it's time to start putting my villain's POV back in. Originally I had several passages in his POV, but I cut them for the sake of word count. Now I get to up my word count. I have my publisher's permission. And my editor wants the villain's POV! How exciting! I'm going to need to create a few more passages, but he's not going to get the same amount of screen time as the kidnapped girls or the detective.

We're really getting somewhere!

And then last night I realized that Detective Hamilton has a pickle fetish. Any kind of pickle. He likes a cold, dripping pickle when he's stuck on a case. It refreshes his mind. And I didn't include that anywhere. I'm going to have to insert pickles.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

pickles, huh? Memorable. Distinct. Quirky. I like it. Eric had a roommate that loved those lil pickled green olives. He would sit down with an entire jar to watch TV and eat them all in one sitting. I thought that was kinda gross. If your detective likes pickles, though, he's got to ADORE bread and butter. Then we can be friends. Or sweet gherkins. those are awesome. Maybe he only eats the really sour dill ones when he's anxious because they seem... eccentric... for some reason. :) Does he like crazy things like pickled beets and pickled watermelon rinds too? Pickled onions? Pickled red peppers? Does he eat them straight out of the jar with his fingers (messy business-- very expressive) or a fork (that would seem to make him an elitist of sorts) or does he use one of those nifty pickle grabbers with the 4 lil arms that grab the pickle when you press the top? How does he prevent pickle juice from soiling his workspace and damaging crucial documents? I'm intrigued by this character. I can't wait to meet him!

Unknown said...

does he put the pickles on a plate? or does he sit down with the entire jar? I kind of like the second option, goes with quirky. :)

Kate said...

I think the pickle fetish sounds very humanizing and fun.

SM Blooding said...

Paige likes jalepino stuffed green olives. LOL!! She's going to have a real bummer of a day...somewhere towards the beginning of Book 2 and she's going to sit down with Bones Season 3 and her jar of green olives.

I can't wait! It's going to be soooo much fun! Right now, I'm still on Season 2, so I have a little time before I get to that scene. Sometimes, its nice to LIVE the scene first. *snort*

And, Elisa, I looooooove the pickle picker! It's awesome. I lost my pickle picker and haven't found one yet--haven't really looked,either--so now I just use my fingers...or a fork.

Oh!! And does he drink the juice when there's too much and it's too hard to dig the pickles out? The green olive juice is disGUUUUUUSTing! However, dill pickle juice is good AND it's good for you!

Stephanie Faris said...

I love characters with odd interests. The more obscure, the better...it's realistic. I've never known anyone with a pickle fetish but it's a good fetish to have since they aren't all that bad for you...well, except for the sodium.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

ha! I'm glad his pickle fetish has picked up some interest. I can't wait to get to know this aspect of his character! It's gonna be fun!

Vicky B said...

Hahaha. I love it when I find out cute little things like that about my characters, but a lot of the time I like to keep it to myself, as something only I know about them. I'm greedy like that.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Stuff like this is why I love writing.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Melanie! How nice of you to stop by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...