Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Monday, August 10, 2009

My Fantastic Weekend

This weekend I put my novel aside and spent four days with my husband. That's right, four! (We did talk about my novel, but I didn't work on it at all.) It was seriously the best weekend of my life. Well, the drill sergeants still try to run the show, but we learned when to have his cell phone off.

When Mark finally (after trying to convince me for three years) joined the Army, I was less than thrilled. I felt like we did it because we had no choice and I gave in. Mark always felt inspired to join the Army. He felt like he was doing what God wanted him to do. I went along with it.

After seeing him this weekend, I must say it appears I was wrong. Mark looks great. He is thriving in this environment, though his face is thin, his head is shaved, and his arms are huge. It's hard for him, just like it is for everyone, but he is excelling. His confidence is up and I found myself swelling with pride. He is maturing. He is changing.

First they told us we'd have Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night together. Last week that changed to Friday and Saturday night. By the time I got there on Thursday, somebody had made the wrong drill sergeant angry and it was changed to just Saturday night. Heavens! At least we got to see each other on the other days. And Saturday afternoon, when Mark saw he'd missed a call from his platoon leader, he turned his phone off. We couldn't take the chance that the guy was calling to say he couldn't stay with me Saturday night, now, too.

I have a lot on my plate now. I'm supposed to get Mark enrolled in a college and get him a job lined up so he doesn't miss a beat when he gets home. And I'm still supposed to take care of my other responsibilities. Yippee! I hate job hunting. I hate it when I'm doing it for me. It's even worse when I'm doing it for someone else.

But the weekend was fantastic. I've never been more in love with my husband. I can't wait for him to come home.

I'll write about the detective tomorrow!

13 comments:

Mary Gray said...

Glad you had a great time with your husband. :) Makes you glad you married him, eh? Good luck with the job hunting... it really is awful, isn't it??

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

uh, tell me about it! Yuck.

Stephanie Faris said...

How sweet. How long 'til he comes home?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

He comes home September 27, I think. Things are constantly changing!

Heather Moore said...

I'm glad he'll be home relatively soon. You were the winner last Friday on my blog for a free book.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

no way!!! yay, Heather! I'll be right over to your blog. I'm so excited!

Jannie said...

Oh, Tamara, I had goosebumps while reading your post (well, up until you said you have to job hunt...that part stinks)!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

hey Jannie! The good kind of goosebumps, right? :)

Charity Brown said...

Glad you were able to spend time with your hubby!!! :)

Jannie said...

haha, of course! :)

Ralene said...

Welcome to the military life! If you ever need any help or have questions, you know where to find me. I can't believe you were in Fort Lost-in-the-woods (as it is fondly...or not...known as in the military). That's only about three hours from my house. lol...

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Ralene--

Mark and I read a restaurant review (while looking for something to eat) and someone said, "While stuck at Fort Lost in the Woods" and we cracked up. We knew exactly what he was talking about.

Anonymous said...

oh hon. so glad that you had an awesome time, Tamara.

what colleges are you looking at for your husband?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...