So, I'm trying to decide which novel to write this month. I need to get started on this, outlining and all.
I was going to write the next one in my fairy tale series, but the response I'm getting from agents is that fairy tales aren't hot right now. (Okay, as Simon pointed out to me, I've only heard back from four.) But still, it's enough to make me rethink what I'm doing.
I need your help. I'm going to list some of my projects and try my hand at writing hooks. And you tell me which one you think I should work on and why. Of course, I'll base my final decision off my gut feelings, but I really want to know what you all think. And quickly. The month is passing! (oh, and don't decide based on the title--these are all working titles!)
1) Leza--a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story, told in modern times with a fantasy twist, very similar to White as Snow. Leza's father arranges for her to marry a wealthy bachelor in order to relieve his financial debt. Leza agrees to it, but doesn't realize that the man she's marrying is not only chauvinistic creep, but is harboring some nasty secrets. YA/New Adult fantasy.
2) The Last Unicorn--A girl wakes up in a strange place with amnesia. She falls in love with the soldier who is taking care of her. As the days go by, she begins to remember snippets of her old life, and she realizes that she was a unicorn. She accepted a mission to become human so she could free the other unicorns. But if she fulfills her mission, she will transform back and never be with the man she loves. Based off the old cartoon, "The Last Unicorn." MG fantasy.
3) Caleb and Heather: A Love Story--Caleb realizes right after he starts his affair with Rose that he's made a mistake. But it's hard to break off something like that, especially when he feels so estranged from his wife, Heather. Heather, swamped with housework and a new baby and two other children, doesn't realize at first that Caleb is distant from the family. And when she realizes why, she has to decide if she wants to work through it or start over. Adult, chick lit?
4) Fairy Struck--Nicole begins meeting with a fairy boy every night in her dreams. Oddly enough, she notices that the magical things he teaches her at night, she can do during the day. But her ability to prevent horrible tragedies is stunted by her mortality. The boy tells her that she can stop things from happening if she wants to--but she has to become a fairy first. If she does, she won't be able to speak to those she loves except through their dreams. YA/MG fantasy
5) Inevitable--Kayla is psychic. When she meets certain people, she knows in one instant everything that will happen to them, all the way to how they will die. She has tried to change these events before but has found it impossible, so now she just tries not to care. And then she meets Ben. In the first moment, she knows she will fall in love with him and he will break her heart. Except this time, she's determined to change things. YA/New Adult fantasy
6) Golden Gates--A hundred years into the future, a conservative Christian community decides to isolate themselves from the world because they don't like the direction the world is going. Becca never feels the need to venture out of her familiar community until her brother runs away. Becca has two choices: let him go forever, or venture out into the world and try to bring him back. She leaves the community, and discovers a world both frightening and beautiful. Christian/Speculative fiction
7) Mirror Image--On the night Liesel's boyfriend breaks up with her, she discovers that she can find out the truth in what a person is saying--by using a mirror. When she looks at someone's reflection, all lies and euphemisms fly out the window, and she hears exactly what they mean. Then Liesel meets a man who seems to be saying exactly what he feels, truthfully. Liesel thinks she has finally found a perfect person--until she discovers he isn't human. YA Paranormal.
9) The Princess Wars--The princess and her lady-in-waiting are the best of friends and share everything--but that wasn't supposed to include the prince! When the princess and the prince meet at a banquet, they immediately hit it off. The princess leaves the banquet for a moment, asking her lady-in-waiting to keep him from talking to other girls, and while she is gone, the two fall in love. But it doesn't matter. The prince can't marry a servant girl. YA general fiction?
10) Radio--Conner is the starting quarterback on his high school football team, and he's only a junior. His parents let him have free reign, and even the cops ignore him if his team wins a game. He's only concerned with himself, and why not? He's the best. Then Conner's radio starts talking to him, and he can't make it shut up. Unless he does what it says, and sometimes the requests are HARD. He finds an ally in an unlikely place--a supersmart trumpet player in the band. She helps Conner fulfill his missions, and Conner finds himself turning into a person he hardly knows but really likes. YA/MG urban fantasy
11) Death Dare--Jared is certain he's created the ultimate machine: A machine that brings back the recently dead. The Revival Machine works on smaller animals, and so Jared puts his creation to the test and kills himself, leaving it up to his friends to revive him. Only it doesn't work. YA speculative fiction
Okay, yes, I know, that's a lot of would-be future projects. Help???
And no, that's not me in the picture. Just some guy whose picture I got from Wikipedia. Hopefully they know who he is.