Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My new Genre

I've written a young adult Sci-Fi novel.

Shocked? Yeah, me too. I never thought I would write something with science fiction. Actually, I thought I'd written a dystopian, or a post-apocalyptic trilogy. And then I decided I wanted my novel to be something new. Something that's not happening all over the place already.

And guess what? It fits the definition of sci-fi. It has (and this is straight from Wikipedia):

* A time setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in a historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archaeological record.

*A spatial setting or scenes in outer space (e.g., spaceflight), on other worlds, or on subterranean earth. (although you don't see this until book 2)

*Characters that include aliens, mutants, androids, or humanoid robots. (book 3)

*Technology that is futuristic

*New and different political or social systems (e.g. a dystopia, or a post-apocalyptic situation where organized society has collapsed)

In fact, of the 7 qualifications, my book has 5.

It is officially a science-fiction novel. Now I need to do some revising to really focus on those scientific elements.

Ready for this new wave? Science fiction is next!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'd like to read more of your new trilogy...

Kelley Lynn said...

I'm ready! I can't wait to read more about the whole journey :)

Talli Roland said...

Wow! I'm intrigued!

Mary Gray said...

You know, I never thought I'd rave about something science fiction, but when I was pregnant (and sooo sick!!) I gorged myself on the new Battlestar Gallactica series on Netflix On Demand. OMG, it is amazing. It took me a little bit to get into it, but now it's one of my allll time favorite shows. Tamara, how fun you're writing sci-fi!!

Abby Fowers said...

Good for you! I think sci-fi would be so awesome to write, but I have to wonder if I could pull it off. I think that'd be a great genre to go for. Good luck!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

@Mary mine's not quite that sci-fi! it's definitely more based on reality...w/ some sci-fi elements. but it's definitely interesting!

@ Abby I'm not sure I can either! We remain to see!

Sherrie Petersen said...

I love sci-fi. How cool that you're working on one!

Julie Daines said...

Sounds intriguing. You are so talented and creative I'm sure it's awesome!

Unknown said...

Great minds thinks alike. My latest wip currently with my agent qualifies as Sci-fi too!

Tamara, I'm wondering if you could give me some tips on how to set up a newsletter. Maybe an idea for a future blog post?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

already done, Elle! here you go! http://tamarahartheiner.blogspot.com/2010/10/creating-newsletter.html

Mary Aalgaard said...

Wow! Good for you to try something new, and embrace it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...