Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Oh my Craziness

Or in other words, the book signing where everything went wrong.

It started with me thinking I had plenty of time. That's always a mistake. So there I sat, in my house, checking my email. It was 2pm and my book signing wasn't until 4:30pm. I was thinking about how I'd shower at 3pm and we'd leave when my 5-year-old got off the bus at 2:45pm...

Freeze. Something was wrong with that time table. All of the sudden I realized that meant I needed to shower NOW. So I spazzed and hopped in the shower with my alarm set to go off at 2:30pm. See, they're really careful with the Kindergartners around here (no complaints). None of them can get off the bus if their mom/dad is not standing out there waiting for them. Just in case the bus should come early, I try to get myself out there before 2:45pm, because I sure don't want to drive out to the school and gather up my poor child.

I showered quickly, got dressed, and ran out the door to wait for the bus. I didn't have time to blow dry my hair, so I figured we'd get a bit of a late start.

The bus happened to be ten minutes late.

By the time we got back into the house, it was 3pm. I was starting to feel a bit tense.

I was blow drying my hair when the electricity went out. What the ?!??? Did I blow the fuse? No, it turned out the electricity was out IN TWO CITIES. (Too much A/C people? Sheesh!) There was nothing left to do but gather up my blow dryer, kids, and make-up and hightail it to my mom's house thirty minutes away, since she was babysitting.

I got to my mom's house, finished my now-awful hair, put on my make-up, and started for the door. Wait. Wait just one moment. With my nice black slacks and black button-up blouse, I was wearing... white flip flops. How the heck did I manage to get out the door with those on???

I didn't have time to laugh. And definitely no time to get new shoes. So I borrowed a pair of my mom's. The only problem with that was that I wear a size 7 and my mom's a 5. I couldn't get my foot in her shoe. At least I had long pants; I fit my toes into the front and walked on the back part. Then I took a deep breath and left.

But it wasn't over. I got to the store and the manager had no memory of the email that distribution had sent out saying I was coming (which I know they sent because the CCed me in on it). I called distribution, and they had left already. I was starting to think this signing wasn't meant to happen.

But it did. They accommodated me and we said we'd iron out the kinks on Monday (we did). I put my problem behind me and sold some books.

I also came home with 3 blisters on the left foot and 5 on my right foot. I should've just worn the flip-flops.

14 comments:

DL Hammons said...

I know its not funny...but that was worth several chuckles this morning. At least you sold some books! :)

Talli Roland said...

Oh no... it never rains but it pours! Well, at least you sold a few books!

Suzie F. said...

Oh, Tamara! Your adventure sounds like a sitcom episode. I'm glad it turned out alright in the end (except for the blisters).

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

Ouch. That sounds pretty awful. I hope your feet are feeling better.

Kelley Lynn said...

Oh geez... talk about quick thinking though!

Unknown said...

You have the greatest stories!

Mary Aalgaard said...

What a funny story of the endless mishaps. And, yes, it's best to wear your own shoes and ignore fashion. Better to have happy feet. Congrats on the books sales!

Aaron and Emily said...

I didn't think it was possible to squeeze into shoes those size. You could've shown Cinderella's sisters a thing or two.

Unknown said...

lol... and I'll bet you still looked more gorgeous than anyone else in the store!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

@Emily--I totally felt like a Cinderella stepsister

@Elisa--ha ha, in my dreams!

@Suzie next time I'll wear my own shoes!

Anonymous said...

Next time: keep the flip flops. Wouldn't make any difference. I doubt that anyone would notice!

That's great you ended up selling some books!!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror, A Memoir of Shattered Secrets

Unknown said...

I know I shouldn't laugh ... but I did. After all that, I wouldn't have been able to remember my own name.

So glad it worked out well in the end and you sold some books.

Maria Hoagland said...

Oh, Tamara, that's crazy!! But you made it through with a smile and some sales. Awesome! :)

Hillary said...

Holy cow Tamara! What a day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...