Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm THAT mom

Disclaimer: We don't go to Chick-Fil-A that often. Really. Maybe once every two months. We were just lucky that strange things happened the last time we went.

You know those kids that are dealing with aggression issues? The ones that you hope are listening when you tell your kids not to hit and be nice?

Well...lately we seem to be butting heads.

The other day my kids were playing in the kid area of Chick-Fil-A. Wonderful place, by the way. My kids can easily play for an hour. Anyway, suddenly my 5yo comes running out, sobbing. Tears streaming down his face. He's not a big kid, and he's a softie, but he doesn't usually cry like this. I grabbed him and asked him what was wrong and he said, "The boy in the green shirt punched me in the face."

What do you do in a situation like this? I looked around, but no parents were looking at us. I could only hope they were watching their kids in the play area. So I comforted my son, telling him it was probably an accident, it's a playground, these things happen. And I said, "Tell him if he hits you again, you'll have get your mom and I'm going to talk to him," crossing my fingers that that line wouldn't be crossed.

After all, you don't "talk to" other people's kids. That's their job.

Reasonably pacified, my son went back in. Five minutes later he came back, telling me that the boy had hit him again. And pushed him down the slide.

Groan. Now I had to go talk to him. I picked up Baby Girl and followed my son into the play area. We located the boy, who was sitting on the ground screaming at some girl. Where or where is your mom? I thought. I asked, "Did you hit my son?" He looked at me and shook his head. I said, "He says you hit him and pushed him. Did you?"

The kid got up and ran up the slide.

So. I did the unthinkable. Yes, I did. I walked back into the restaurant and yelled, "Does anyone know who the parent is of the boy in the green and white shirt?"

Everyone looked at me. She spoke up, and I know she was at least as embarrassed as I was. They went home. I went back to my table.

So, now you know. I'm that mom. Yes, THAT one.

17 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL, I think I would have been tempted to grab him by his pants as she scampered up the slide and drag him back down to force a confession out of him!

Kelsey (Dominique) Ridge said...

Power to you. Sometimes kids need someone to explain to them what's right and what's wrong, and they're not going to get that if no one pays attention. This woman needed someone to point out that her child was misbehaving, otherwise the matter could not be addressed.

Loralie Hall said...

That's a hard thing to do. I'm impressed - and your son should be very happy to have a mother like you ^_^

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I didn't know what else to do! I couldn't just ignore it! I hope he's happy. :)

Creepy Query Girl said...

lol- I think you did the right thing. She should be embarrased for not even keeping an eye on her kid- which now that I hear the description of the little brat- she was probably just trying to spend an hour away from him.

Luisa Perkins said...

I would have done the same thing. Good job.

Kelley Lynn said...

Totally would have done the same thing. Well done.

Hopefully that kid learned a lesson.

Karen C said...

Way to Go!!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

So glad I'm not the only one! and yeah...hopefully mom learned a lesson too!

Cathy said...

You are your son's hero. You did what you said you would do. What a wonderful lady you are.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I hope you're right, Cathy! I sure felt catty for doing it!

Talli Roland said...

Well done, Tamara! I would have gone mental.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Go, Go, Mama Bear! I'm proud of you! It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to a bully. And, it is SO HARD to confront other people's children when THEY are supposed to be doing it. Thank God she took the boy home.

Shirley Wells said...

Good for you. It's very difficult talking to other people's children when the parents should be doing it.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

@Shirley--argh! especially when the parent is right there!

Thanks, Mary! Honestly I hate being that sort of person. I'm so non-confrontational. but yeah! I wasn't going to just stand there and do nothing!

Hillary Sperry said...

Go Tamara! You get the great mom of the week award :) you're a brave girl!

Aaron and Emily said...

If my kid did that kind of stuff, I would want to know! I mean... was she nice about it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...