Well, as my book is estimated to come out in the "Fall of 2010", I'm guessing that would put us in October/November. That's about 15 months away. More or less.
In honor of that number, I'm going to blog a chronology of the steps it's taken (and will take) to get this book from idea to shelf. Trying to keep it in 15 steps.
The steps are as planned:
15) Bored in study hall/first draft
14) first & second submissions/rejection
13) Finding treasure/Christmas
12) reading and rewriting
11) writer's forum/WDC
10) third submission/changes/Deseret Book
9) fourth submission/resurrection/Covenant
8) fifth submission/WiDo, Covenant, Cedar Fort, Granite, etc.
7) contract/emails back and forth
6) Assigned an editor
5) Revisions--4 and second editor
3) Cover art
2) final proofs
1) release date/calendar of events
Obviously, some of these things haven't happened yet. So I might be off a bit. But I've had a lot of people ask me about the querying process, wait time, etc. I'll be happy to delve into detail on my experience!
Now I think I'll go take a nap.