Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Beware Hitch Hikers

I gave a ride to some hitch hikers yesterday.

Sounds dangerous and scary, right? It wasn't. They were a couple with a baby and a broken car, trying to walk up a hill while carrying a carseat. The city they live in is a good fifteen minutes by car out to the country, and it would've taken them hours.

But even as innocent as it looked, I knew I couldn't just trust them. I got their information, names, phone numbers, and texted all of it to my deputy husband before I let them in my car.

From there I just had to go with my gut feeling. Which wasn't afraid.

That is the first time in my entire life that I've ever felt the urge to help someone hitchhiking. I've always felt bad for the person, but all the "what ifs" would flood my mind, quickly quelling any desire to put myself directly in their line of aid. Or fire, if it be so.

I think it is sad, the world we live in, that we can't trust people. That we have to be suspicious of others. It's very true that we have to. I don't think we should ever feel pressured to do something potentially dangerous. But at the same time, if we feel like we should so something, we shouldn't feel pressured to NOT do it.

Blog stop at Marsha Ward's place!

2 comments:

Laura Hughes, MittensMorgul said...

I have never picked up a hitch hiker, but I have accepted a ride from a stranger. Once. In dire circumstances. During the Blizzard of 1996, I was staying with a friend about a mile and a half from my house. When the snow stopped falling, we tried to get out to the grocery store. We had about eight people staying together, like a giant sleepover party for grownups, but with three feet of snow on the ground, our cars weren't going anywhere. I waded out to the main street into town, and started hiking.

One lane had been cleared through the snow, and cars were getting by very slowly. Half a dozen cars passed by, and several offered me a ride. I just waved them off with my thanks. Eventually, I started to get cold and tired, and I finally accepted a ride from a nervous looking guy in a Volvo. He seemed like a decent guy, and I only needed to go a half mile.

We sort of talked nervously for the few minutes I was in his car, and he seemed as relieved as I was when I got out.

Strange, but I still remember that as one of the most unusual and frightening things I've ever done.

Leslie said...

You were so smart to text the info to your husband first just in case. It is sad that in our world today it's generally not safe to pick up hitchhikers. But every now and then we just have to trust our gut if there is someone in need.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...