Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Monday, June 18, 2012

Saudades do Brasil

I spent almost two years of my life living in Rio de Janeiro and surrounding cities. I fell in love with the city, often thinking that I would return after marriage and raise a family there.

Reality turned out to be quite different after I married, of course. My husband was in school and we move where his work is, not where his wife wants to live on a whim. And now that I am fully immersed in the American culture and have three kids, I am not prepared to uproot them and prepare them for the cultural differences.

But I miss Brazil. My heart longs for it and I spend some time every week looking at flights and dreaming of going. The best way I can describe the feeling is homesick. I miss it so badly. My family and I rented the cartoon "Rio" last week. I thought it would be fun to see images from Brazil, to hear Portuguese. I wasn't prepared for the blast of desire it fired at me, for the consuming thoughts of finding a way to get back there.

We can't go this year. We can't go next year. So we'll have to set our sights on 2014. I hate to wait so long, but at least I can make a plan. At least I know we'll go.

Today's blog stop is Elizabeth Mueller, and she already has the post up! Stop by and say hello!

2 comments:

Brent Wescott said...

I spent some time in Brazil, too. I can't imagine raising a family in Rio de Janeiro, though. I was mostly in the north, Brasilia, Manaus, Belem, and could see myself there again.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I've never been there before, but would love to go! The younger girl in me still wants to see so many places, but the grown-up in me is ready to settle down for a long while :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...