Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pies and Cobblers

I am very close to making another dream of mine a reality.

I love baking. In the past few years, I've developed a huge love for pies and cheesecakes. I've always wistfully thought how in another life I'd open a bakery. But I can't in this one. A bakery would take up all my time. I'd be up at 3 in the morning making fresh baked items, and then I'd spend all day running and cleaning the shop, and then all night doing paperwork, accounting, shopping, etc.

I don't have time for that. Not when my biggest priorities are my family and writing.

But an opportunity presented itself at the restaurant I work at, and I stole it. Soon after I got hired on as a waitress, I noticed they have no dessert menu. I waited about six weeks, and then offered to make pies for them. My kitchen isn't licensed, so I'd have to use the restaurant kitchen.

Lo and behold, the owner said yes. However, he doesn't want pies to begin with; he wants cobblers. The reason being that he can get more servings with a cobbler and thus hopefully increase the profit margin.

So tomorrow my cobblers will debut in the local restaurant. The only issue is, I do pies, not cobblers.

I spent last night going through my cookbooks and came to two conclusions: 1) Cobblers are different from pies. 2) A lot of my pies can be modified into cobblers and no one will care.

For tomorrow night, I'll be making one traditional peach cobbler with no bottom crust and biscuit-like flaky crust on top. I'll also be making a cherry pie, doubling it and its lattice top so it fits into a cobbler pan.

I'm excited and nervous and hoping it goes really, really well. I would love for this to be what I do... instead of waitressing. :)

But onto business! Yesterday's winner of an ebook is Hart Johnson! Hart, shoot me an email and let me know which book you want! Today's stop is at Laurel's Leaves. Ten comments and we have a winner!

1 comment:

Kate said...

I really hope your cobblers turn out well. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...