Updates

Status: Releasing Entranced on February 17!

Monday, October 26, 2009

Mermaids and Catching Fire

My husband and I went out to eat on Saturday.

This was a very grand moment for us. We love going out to eat, and haven't gone to a restaurant in months. But we had a bit of extra money and wanted to treat ourselves. Plus we had a $25 gift certificate.

So we headed to restaurant in Fayetteville called Mermaids. Not a franchise, so if you don't live around northwest Arkansas, you're not gonna be able to go. Sorry! Yes, that's a picture of the inside. It's been cutely decorated with mermaids.


But let me tell you about what we ate. First, we got the fried lobster fritters. Yum. Bite-sized, tender morsels of pink and white lobster in a crispy, golden shell. Ah, so good. Next we had the Soup of the day, which was a very rich shrimp bisque. Dinner was served with rolls and a salad. I got the tuna special, which was a fillet of tuna covered in a Marsala sauce glaze on a bed of fettuccine noodles and a side of shrimp. Um, yum!

That wasn't enough, of course. We had to get dessert after that. My husband got a brownie and pecan ice-cream concoction while I got a chocolate ganache with lots of raspberry sauce poured over it. (I even asked for extra raspberry and got it.)

I daresay we may have found my new favorite restaurant. I can't wait to go back.

I also finished reading Catching Fire over the weekend, so I must say a few words about it. It was great, really good, and I can't wait for the next one. But I was slightly disappointed in two things (NO SPOILERS. I'll be a bit vague on details, but I'm not going to give anything a way): 1) The setting. I wanted to see something different from her. It felt too much like a cop out. 2) The love triangle. This, of course, is subjective. I've picked out who I liked in the love triangle, and it bugged the dickens out of me anytime she showed any interest in the other character. To the point where sometimes I wanted to just put the book down. Yet I know there must've been other people rooting for the exact opposite. That's gonna happen. But still, disappointing.

Finally, the use of present tense began to wear on me. I ignored it for the entire first book, but by this one, I found myself having to correct my reading because some things I automatically read in past tense. This book is really good. But I think I will avoid other books that right in present tense.

Just my thoughts and opinions. Read the book and make your own opinions.

5 comments:

Heather Sunseri said...

I finally read Hunger Games and finished it today. I really liked it, but now i must go get Catching Fire soon, althought I really should be writing myself. Glad you liked it. I'll be checking it out soon.

Jay said...

I'm mid-Catching fire right now, and I'm loving it, but yes - I wish Katniss would make up her bloody mind. Drives me batty sometimes. I personally know who I'd like her to end up with too. Sheesh!

Tom Bailey said...

I connected to your blog through another blog. I like what you have going on here.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Hi Tom! Welcome aboard. I hope you stay a bit!

LMJ said...

Finding a new favorite restaurant is always good news, especially now a days. Here in Albuquerque, many restaurants are closing because of the economy. Among them, were two of our favorite, so we were really dissappointed.

As for books, I'm done with finishing a book I don't really like for the sake of finishing. If it doesn't catch my attention within the first chapter, I'm done with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...