Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ticks and Titles

I have an announcement to make. A very awesome one.

My book has a title.

The title is Perilous. What do you think? Does it make you want to go out and buy it? At least catch your interest?

Of course, it's not set in stone. It could still change. That's how these things are, you know.

So you may have guessed already, but I heard back from my editor! She approved the title. She also gave me many many things to work on, which really ignites my excitement and gets me ready to write. I'll quit working on my sequel now (though I did make my goal today, in case you're wondering) and get back to work on this one.

It's funny how you miss things. No matter how many times I revised (and had others revise), there are still little things I do that nobody else noticed. My ticks. Kristine pointed out that I overused the contract ('d). I laughed out loud--really--when I started searching for this contraction. It's everywhere!!! Not only that, but I went to close down my sequel, and noticed it all over that book, too!

She also pointed out an abundance of 'gonna' in dialogue. She said it's fine if one character speaks with quirky grammar often, but not all of them. I never would've noticed!

I haven't even taken a look at the rest of the comments. First the easy stuff. Then the big stuff! I'll keep you updated.

17 comments:

Kate said...

Perilous--intriguing, I like it.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I like it, too. Hooray-- a title! I posted once about writing tics--I think it is interesting what people do like that. So odd how we ourselves never notice, yet to someone else it is glaringly obvious. Thank goodness for editors!

Vicky B said...

Gorgeous title. I'm always attracted to one-word titles that are words I don't hear very often or have a very strong connotation. So I really like it!

Anonymous said...

That's an AWESOME title, Tamara! I would definately keep it! I want to buy it even more now :) *Not that I will have to buy it after you've sent me a signed copy*...lol...

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

ha ha ha, Kurt! Only if you shamelessly promote me via your awesome google sense.

Good, Vicky! that's exactly what we were going for!

Anonymous said...

LOL...Flattery will get you everywhere! :D

I'll go and put a link to this blog on my web site right now, how does that sound?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

that sounds great! :)

Jay said...

Wicked good title, Tamara. I'd flip that jacket open and have a look just based on the title. And I'd buy it just cuz I saw your name on the front. :-)

Cindy R. Wilson said...

I think that title is awesome. Yeah, I definitely need other people to point out my little repetitive phrases or words.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I'm stoked that everyone likes the title!

Mary Gray said...

One more vote for awesomeness! I keep thinking about it, Tamara, so that's a great sign. Did you come up with it??

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I didn't, actually! I asked for help on twitter and another lady--can't even think of her name!-- suggested it.

Stephanie Faris said...

Sounds like a great title. What an exciting time for you!

Mary Gray said...

Wow! Kudos to you for utilizing Twitter the best way possible!

Heather Sunseri said...

Great title! Good for you! I love it when someone points out a word that I use too often. Usually, I'm so close to the MS by that point, that I would never have noticed it.

Sherrie Petersen said...

Sounds like a good title -- and a good editor :)

Jannie said...

I love it! Very intriguing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...