I had my first book signings a few weeks ago, and I brought back some notes.
I had one book signing that went really really well, and one that didn't. I read somewhere that the average book signing sells 4 books, so I guess I didn't do too bad either way. But here are my reflections.
What went well:
1) The newsletter. Almost everyone that walked by signed up for my newsletter. Which is great, b/c that means I've got a way to keep in touch with them about sequels, etc. (BTW, if you haven't signed up, you can sign up for my newsletter in the right-hand column.)
2) The raffle. So fun to have something to give away! And I was very pleased with the winner, who happened to buy 3 books.
3) The bookmarks. Everyone took one or two. Even if they didn't buy a book. Future customers? I hope so.
4) The fudge. I gave homemade fudge to both bookstore owners. One even emailed me for the recipe.
What could've been improved:
1) The fliers. Now, this worked at one bookstore and not the other. One bookstore handed out all of my fliers the week prior to the signing. The other? I think they must've found them the day of the signing, b/c they gave them all to me. Or maybe they thought I wanted them back so I could display them on my table. Um, no. They had the dates and times of the signing on them. No good to me afterwards.
2) The traffic. One bookstore stuck me in a prominent position where anyone walking in could see me. The other stuck me at a nice table behind rows of books, nowhere in sight of the coffee shop customers. Even though I got up and walked around to the other customers, very few followed me back to where I was.
3) Communication. I neglected to work out the details of payment with one of the bookstores before hand. When I got there, she suggested a split that would've made it so I LOST money instead of made money. She was willing to renegotiate, but I was embarrassed we hadn't cleared it up before hand.
4) Friends. I invited one group of friends to one signing, and another group to the other signing. Well...I know which group supports me more!
I have another signing scheduled later this month, and I'm excited to see how it goes!
Thoughts? What's worked for you and what hasn't?