I am sitting here at the computer with my heart pounding, not able to focus on even basic things, like finding the right browser to open from the start menu.
As I sit here thinking about this, I wonder if other people get bouts of nerves like I do. Sometimes it's the silliest thing, too. What's set me off right now? My publisher asked for my phone number. Which means someone is going to call me.
No big deal, right? But oh my heck, it freaks me out.
It's in response to an email I sent where I asked a question. So, logically, I can presume they want to answer my question in person. But I feel like a kid being sent to the principal's office. Am I in trouble? Is someone angry at me? Did I break a rule?
OMH. (I'm experimenting with these fun little acronyms. This one and OMW--oh my word--pretty much sum up the extent of my expletive vocabulary.)
Other random things that make me nervous?
* checking my bank account (what if there's less money than I think there will be??? But come on, isn't it better to know??? Ignorance can be bliss...)
* checking my email (especially if I'm waiting for something important)
* driving in reverse (i.e., exiting a parking space)
* making phone calls (I've addressed this particular idiosyncrasy in some detail in a previous post)
* waiting (yeah, pretty much waiting for anything. the suspense kills me)
* checking Amazon.com for reviews (I hardly ever do. Can't stand the anxiety attack)
* any time anyone says anything to me along the lines of, "I need/want to talk to you." (It's that "yikes" feeling again! What did I do??)
So, am I a little strange? Or do these things make you nervous too? Or is it something else entirely?