First I have to say, I'M BACK! And I'm so so happy to be back!!! Good grief, from the piles of laundry to the :::gulp::: 600 new emails, I feel swamped with things to do. I love vacationing, I really do. But I missed my routine and am so happy to get back to it!
But anyway. It came to my attention a few weeks ago, when my husband really wanted me to call someone and I really didn't want to, that I'm really not a phone person. So, okay, I already knew this. I still haven't made a dentist appointment because I don't want to pick up the phone and call. But I can text, email, facebook, and chat in real life till the cows come home. (And who really knows when that is, anyway?)
When I mentioned this on facebook, I got a TON of sympathetic responders. Turns out I'm not the only one! Why is that? All of this pondering led to many many facebook discussions and I realized I had enough for a blog post. So, here are my thoughts:
I dislike talking on the phone BECAUSE:
1) I don't have time for it. If I need to make an appointment, set up a visit, find a babysitter, or anything like that, I don't want to be on the phone chatting for fifteen minutes. I can't verify how long the call will be, but I can verify how long the text will be.
2) I can't think of anything to talk about. Unless it's my friend from college and I know we're going to talk about how different our third pregnancies were, I have no guarantee that I'll have entertaining subject matter after five minutes of cheerful chatter. How embarrassing is that?
3) My children. Need I say more? The moment I get on the phone, they start screaming. No one wants to stay on there with me for long.
4) I've been traumatized. In college I worked for a telephone marketing research company. We cold-called all hours and people were MEAN. Now, I break out in a sweat whenever I have to call someone!
5) I'm a writer. I express myself better in a text, if you know what I mean.
I haven't always been this way. When I was a teenager, I could tie up on non-cordless-phone-that-didn't-have-call-waiting for hours at a time. My dad loved me for it. (Insert sarcasm.)
What about you? Phone hater or lover? Same reasons?