Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Loot

My digital camera has lost its charger and I don't know where to find it.

My camera battery is dead.

The point being, I can't show you the loot of goodies that I purchased for Follower #150, Kate Larkindale. This picture is a good example, though, and I borrowed it from Kate Charlottesville's blog.

Kate, thanks for following! If someone referred you here, let me know, because they get something too! Send me an email with you address -- tamara at byu dot net -- and I'll get these yummies off to you. (No chocolate--can't risk the melting. Sorry. Yes, I know, chocolate's the best.)

And what's this 'your friends' thing beneath 'your followers'? How is that different? Sheesh, now my followers aren't my friends? Am I supposed to do my recruiting here?

As for me, I'm seriously trying to get my mind off the full MS I just sent in. I know I shouldn't expect a response for at least a month, but that doesn't keep me from getting jumpy every time I have a new email. And I'm having a horrible time getting my thoughts to focus on my next project. All I can think about is the one I just crash-revised.

So this week I am taking a break from writing and working on reviews. I have so many people I promised I'd help review, and I haven't done it. This week's the week. Hopefully by next week, I'll be refocused enough to write some more.

How do you find your focus again when you've lost it? Do you take a break or plow through it?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's a bad thing taking a break. Lots of writers punish themselves if they haven't written anything, and stress out about it. Call me lazy, but while I'm still in the position that I can write at my own leasure, that is what I do. I write when I want, to and never kick myself for not doing enough. It works for me :) If anyone deserves a break, Tamara, you do!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Thank you, Kurt, you're too sweet! And you made me feel good about taking a break, LOL!

Stina said...

Yummy prizes. Congrats, Kate!

A break isn't a bad thing. I'm going to be trying to do that over the summer. I haven't lost focus, but OMG do I have to catch up on my reading. I keep buying books before I finish reading the ones I've already got. I'm beginning to think I have a problem. Nah!

When I need a break, I usually work on a new project. My wip is out with beta readers, and for once, I'm hoping they take awhile to get back to me. I want to finish my outline and preplanning for my new project so that I can work on the first draft while I query my wip. And while I do that, because I'm easily distracted, I'll go unplugged. LOL then I can't keep checking the inbox. When I mean unplugged, I mean the Internet is disconnected in the basement. To check my inbox, I'll have to track down two flights of stairs. ;)

Good luck on finding your focus. And don't worry, you will. We all go through that.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I admire people that go unplugged, Stina. I can't! I reward myself for every half hour of dedicated work with a few minutes of internet!

Guinevere said...

Tamara, it's really hard for me to unplug too -- I love my interwebs. I go out to a coffee shop or something when I want to be really productive, and don't turn my wireless on. It really helps me, but I just can't make myself do it in my own house. Grr. It's a good thing I own some shares in Starbucks...

Talli Roland said...

I find unplugging really hard, too. I also use the Internet as a reward!

Focus is a tough one. Mine comes and goes - I'm sure your will return!

A Pen In Neverland: Angela Peña Dahle said...

A few things I learned about dusting myself off and continuing the writing adventure from a Mad Hatter--Don't argue with a mad man, your creation or not. Don't lose your hats in a foreign world. Don't lose yourself or your teacup, you might need them to make you feel whole. Don't kid around with yourself or your writing. Talent is forever. Wit is golden. Never ask twenty questions when a few will do. No matter the twenty questions, we who write, "We're all mad here". Focus on the important things, the rest comes later, even if it is just tea and a lump of sugar.

--You can find the rest of this on my blog Tamara. Keep it up. You are doing fine!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Guinevere, you're hilarious! I've always thought writing in a coffee shop sounded so romantic! But I don't want to go alone. I need a writer friend around here.

Glad I'm not the only one, Talli!

Angela, I think I am the madman. Okay. I won't argue w/ myself!

Jemi Fraser said...

Crossing my fingers for you on the full! Exciting :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Congrats on hitting 150! That looks like some pretty fancy loot!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

thanks, jemi!

Thanks, Karen! You're so far ahead of me! I'm sure it really helps w/ book sells--at least, I hope so!

Lothiriel said...

I unplug on weekends...unless, I want to enter giveaways!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...