Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Writer's Conference

The only time I ever went to a writer's conference was in eighth grade, when my school sent four of us students to a youth writer's conference close by. It was really fun and we shared things we had written, but nobody offered contracts or did much of critiquing. Still, I made a friend and exchanged letters with her for years.

I doubt that normal writer's conferences are like that. But I wouldn't really know, since I've never been to one.

Last night I was reading on M. Gray's blog, where she talked about the upcoming Storymaker's conference, and all the fun things that are going to happen there. Once again, I felt envious. Jealous even. As I commented on her blog about my envy, it occurred to me that we're getting a fat tax return next week (thank you, Uncle Sam!) and there was no reason for me NOT to go.

So there you have it. I talked to my husband and talked to M. Gray, and I'm going!!! M. Gray and I are even going to share a hotel room! How exciting is that? I'm going to meet a fellow author being published by WiDo, someone I've been friends with online for almost a year! And I'm going to meet so many other authors! I really can't wait. Now I'm going to go study the conference itinerary some more before I take my son to his soccer game.

Who's going to be there??? Who else am I going to meet?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, good lady. Enjoy!

I'm waiting on our tax return so I can head to a writer's conference this spring too. :)

sarahjayne smythe said...

Congrats. That is so cool. I'm so happy you're getting to go. And now I'm the one that's jealous. :) Seriously, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Unknown said...

Have fun! I'm sure you'll love it!

Mary E Campbell said...

I'll be at the Storymakers conference. I'm only going to the Saturday session though. Hope I see you there.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I'll look for you, Mary!!!

Unknown said...

That is wonderful! It will be such a great experience. Enjoy!

hi, it's me! melissa c said...

Hot damn! Oops! Pardon my French! he he! I'll be there too! Woo hoo! Hope you room close by. Are you staying in the main hotel where the conf. is? I am. I'll look for you! Then there'll be three of us together! Yeah!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

woo hoo is right, Melissa!!! Totally cool! Yes, we are staying in the Marriott. Let's have a slumber party! We'll be there three nights!

Jordan McCollum said...

I'll be there!

AFAIK, though, contracts and critiquing aren't what even adult conferences are about. Although agents and publishers are attendance, they don't offer contracts on the spot (though the winners of the first chapter conference do attract interest). They might request a partial or full, though. And last year, the regular classes and panels weren't about critiquing our work (though there was one on how to accept criticism). There's a bootcamp in the morning for that, though, if there are any openings left.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

I'm not going for contracts or critiques, Jordan. I'm going for networking and information on marketing and improving my skill! I'm so impressed that they have classes for all different levels of authors.

Kate said...

Congratulations!

Talli Roland said...

How exciting! I haven't yet been to a writers' conference despite my desire to do so!

Can't wait to hear how it goes!

Mary Gray said...

I. Can't. Wait!!!

Lothiriel said...

HOw exciting!!

Maybe you'll share a few pics with us...?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

You can bet I'll share pictures!

Jordan said...

@Tamara—you just mentioned a lack of critiques and contract offers from your first conference as if that made it not a "real" writers' conference. From my experience and reading, that's not what they're about.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Jordan--As that was the only writer's conference I ever went to, I don't have a lot of experience to offer. But most of the unpublished authors I know who are going to conferences, while they will get a lot out of the classes, etc, they are most excited about the 'pitch' sessions and meeting agents, publishers, etc. There was nothing like that at the conference I went to. It was like 'pseudo-conference' to get kids excited about writing.

But of course that's not all a conference would have! Otherwise published/contracted authors would never go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...