Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Friday, June 3, 2011

92 Degrees and Rising

It's summer time.

Ah yes. The days of suntan lotion, sprinklers, squeals, swimsuits, and sweat.

And mosquitoes. And humidity. And heat.

I love summer and everything that comes with it, but I do enjoy feeling cool in my own house. My solution: the basement. During the summer I spent 90% of my home time in the basement. I go upstairs to cook and sleep. But I'm about to nix the cooking option. I think I'm going to employ my crockpot and solar oven for the rest of the summer.

Of course, I need to buy my solar oven first. Isn't this totally awesome? For $180, I can have my own solar oven and take advantage of all the sunshine. Check out their webpage at solarovens.org. I can't wait to get mine.

We also bought out pool pass... summer, here we come.

What are you doing to stay cool this summer???

7 comments:

Crystal Collier said...

Well you know, here in Florida it's summer for 2/3 of the year, so the in ground (and screened) pool out back is fabulous. =) No basement though. Keep cool eh?

Stephanie Black said...

At this point, I'm not sure summer will actually come here. Sixties, and supposed to rain tomorrow. Rain in northern CA in June??? Totally bizarre.

But if summer does come, my plan to deal with the heat is to complain a lot; we don't have air conditioning.

Brent Wescott said...

Never seen a solar oven. Does it just cook slowly like a crock pot? Is it portable? This would be great to have while camping.

banananutmeg said...

You should talk to Jadene, she's looking for people to buy solar ovens at the same time as her to get a group discount. I don't know if she did it yet, or found enough people, but talk to her if you're serious about buying one in the near future, because she said the discount was a good one.

I use my crockpot a LOT. It is a lifesaver. we don't have a basement, but this is the time of year when i am grateful that my house does not get direct sunlight through the windows, and has a lot of shade over the house. Maybe I am crazy, but it just feels cooler when it is dark inside.
I was so hot today that I actually called the restaurant we were going to try out ahead of time to make sure they had air conditioning. They did, and the food was great, but I would have been steamed if I drove to Gentry for a "down home cookin'" restaurant and they were old fashioned in the coolant dept. as well! We did wait an hour on the porch to get in, though. Worth it.

Anonymous said...

We are having a bit of a heatwave here in England too. Record temperatures. We don't have air con in our homes here, so when it's hot we just have to live with it lol Can't say I have ever heard of a solar oven though. Probably because it normally rains here most of the time :D

Anonymous said...

P.S. The link didn't work, by the way.

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

Thanks, Kurt! I'll get that linked fixed.

Meg, Jadene's the one who gave me the idea. what restaurant did you go to?

Brent, apparently it's just like a crockpot. I'll get my link fixed!

Stephanie, no AC??? what?

Thanks, Crystal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...