Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Can we talk about social issues?

The reality of a teenager's life

I've already had a few people email me or post in reviews that they were a little disturbed by a topic that gets brought up in the newest Cassandra Jones book. Since it's not a central part of the plot, there's nothing in the blurb or description to warn people, so it's natural that some people will react in surprise or alarm.
So I'm going to warn you.
Junior high marks the beginning of what will become a four-year battle with an eating disorder for Cassie. It starts slowly. It springs on her in the most normal way, with just wanting to be pretty and thin and popular like all the other girls.
It creeps into her life until it's got its grip on her and she has to fight hard to shake it.
This trial in her life is never going to be the main plot, but it will be a part of her story for the next few years. And there's a reason for it. If you've read any of my books, you know I don't shy away from hard topics. I never start out to write a book with the intention that it's going to teach or be a moral lesson; I don't look for polemic topics. But these things are so very real and normal that almost everything I write about, I have intimate experience with. Not saying all of these events have happened to me, but many of them have, and those that didn't happened to close friends of mine.
Eating disorders are very real, and they are so prevalent in a young teen's life that probably half of them battle that mindset before most conquer it. A few, like Cassie, succumb.
If that makes you want to avoid the next few years of her life, I won't be offended. You can pick the series back up at Springdale Bulldogs Year 3, after she's put those demons to rest. :)
I'm not one of those authors who writes beautiful poetic feel-good books. I hope you feel all the ranges of emotions when you read my books: sadness, despair, heartbreak, joy, love, laughter, peace.  
So now either you'll want to read the book or you won't. :) If you don't have the book, it's not too late to get it! Book 1 is free for now. And the last book of Season 3 is available for preorder now, so it's pretty much all out there!
Feel free to reach out and tell me what you think about Cassandra's upcoming dilemma, or even what you think about social issues!
Love,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...