Updates

Status: Drafting the fourth book in the PERILOUS series!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Librarians Rock!

I've been working hard to build up my author's platform and public speaking resume.

One of the first things I've done is go to public libraries and offer to speak for free. I wish I could personally go to every library in the United States, because the librarians have been SO supportive.



Plus, as my book is not yet in bookstores, this is the best way I have to get it out in the public view. It's also a great way for me to gauge public reaction. One YA librarian called me last week to set up a speaking date. She also said the one copy of my book they had at the library is extremely popular and in high demand. She actually spoke to my publisher and ordered more books for the library!!!

I can't tell you how happy it made me feel. She told me she is careful not to push books on the teens, but makes sure the newest arrivals are on display. And this book, MY book, became a hot item. She said they simply had to have more in circulation.

What this says to me is, my book attracts teenagers. It makes me confidant that when the book arrives in bookstores, it's going to sell. The young adult crowd, my target audience, is going to buy it. Hopefully like hotcakes.

And I don't know if librarians have conferences or conventions or email lists, but I hope this librarian tells all her librarian friends that they NEED Perilous in their library.

You can help! Go to your local library and request that Perilous be added to the wishlist! You'll need to know the title, my name, the publisher (WiDo Publishing), and maybe the ISBN (978-0-9796070-8-0). Many libraries even have a link on their website where you can request a purchase (if you own a library card to that library).

I love libraries!

13 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I will TOTALLY do that! The cover is AWESOME. It's sad but I think a lot of people don't read outside of what they find at Target and Walmart. Kind of a sad commentary.

Amy Saia said...

Sounds great Tamara! A lot of people don't know they can order a book at their library like that, so I'm glad you're putting it out there. Most teen reference clerks are more than willing to put together some sort of program. I used to work at a library, and I did a few songwriting classes for the teen coordinator there, and those kids just love to have someone share their arts and knowledge.

Also, how exciting that your book is doing well! Go you!

Unknown said...

I didn't realize that's how simple it was Tamara!!! I'm so glad to hear how easy it was to get into the library! That's such great news!! For you I'll definitely get that book in the library!! I loved the novel, I have my own copy but the library in my town definitely needs one!

Cami Checketts said...

Librarians are wonderful. When I've spoken at libraries they've also asked me to bring books of my own to sign and sell, very nice.
I will make sure to bug my librarian again about your book. When does it hit bookstores so I can get my own copy?

Hillary said...

Ooo cool! Which library are you speaking at?

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

@Hillary--the Springdale library on April 9 and the Bella Vista library on March 12. Way cool!

@Cami--I've heard other authors say it takes like six months for distribution to really kick in, so I'm thinking, sometime in the summer!

@Jen--you're awesome! So supportive!

@Amy--wow! sounds like you've really been involved! Our local library here is run by volunteers, and when my husband is home again I definitely want to volunteer!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

@Jolene--totally sad! There are so many great books out there that Walmart and Target don't carry!

Aaron and Emily said...

Okay, I sent the request to my local library. It was super easy, I just filled out a form online, and it said on their website that it actually fulfills most requests! The only question is, which ISBN number should I have used? I checked Amazon for it, and it has a 10 and a 13 digit number listed.

Aaron and Emily said...

I had no idea I could request books to the library!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

either ISBN, Emily. I hope your library does it!

Jemi Fraser said...

Good idea! I've got Perilous on my Kindle, but haven't been able to find the time to start reading it!

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

at least you've got it, Jemi! that's 90% of the battle for me! :)

TerryLynnJohnson said...

great news, Tamara! So happy it's doing well at the library! Congratulations! Hopefully it will make it into bookstores!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...